Stations in a more than 100 year old company history
1758 - 1829
Johann Bernd Gramann sets up the farm Vor dem Moore (in front of the mire) near Vechta. He is among the first settlers who change the heather sods into fertile farmland under hardest labour. To set up his farming on a more wider basis, he obtains further sod plaggs for turf cutting or feed production in 1828.
1820 - 1898
Bernd Josef Gramann obtains mire lots and increases the size of his parental farm. Under his management the small cottery grows into a considerable farm with a size of 54 ha.
1858 - 1940
Heinrich Anton Gramann has to give up his law studies and has to take over his parental farm because his brother married a female hier to a farm. He is open for newest developments of the industrial age and changes the farm into a modern agricultural enterprise. Furthermore he obtains more mire lots. With the official entry of the peat trading company Anton Gramann into the registry on 15. January 1908 he is founding eventually the history of the commercial peat production in the county of Vechta.
1896 - 1959
Hermann Josef Gramann is expanding the peat extraction and peat trading. From 1920/21 onwards the production of fuel peat is complemented by the production of press peat which is more and more asked for as fertilizer peat and bedding peat for cattle sheds. In 1926 Josef Gramann builds the first bedding peat company and is thus the oldest white peat production in the Vechta mire. He soon joins the "Torfstreuverband" (association of bedding peat) in Berlin at it's subsidiary in Oldenburg and starts selling the bales under the brand "Flora" throughout Germany. From 1950 onwards the first peat products of Gramann are being sold into the rest of Europe as well as America and Canada.
1933 - 2001
Anton August Gramann takes over the management of his parental company after the early dead of his father in 1959. He secures further raw material resources and incorporates with other regional peat production plants to the NWT Torfkontor Vechta. Due to this forward-looking decision he is able to enhance the development of peat trading.
1964 - today
Josef Hermann Gramann joins actively the company alongside his father and directs it into a completely new dimension. In 1991 he decides to closely cooperate with the global company "Ostendorf Group" that holds own production sites in Vörden and Donstorf in Germany. He converses the peat production company into one of the most modern substrate and potting soil production companies of Europe under the name Gramoflor Gärtnererden (Gramoflor potting soils). From 1999 onwards he manages step by step the own distribution under the brand Gramoflor, the further expansion of the two high-tech production sites in Vechta and Vörden and the long-term oriented safeguarding of further peat extraction areas in all of Northern Germany. Under his leadership the indpendent companies are merged into one under the name Gramoflor GmbH und Co. KG in 2006.
Today as well as in the past a highly motivated and strong performing team is putting all its efforts into the careful production of high quality soils. Valuable experiences, passed on from generation to generation, the reflective care of company traditions and entrepreneurial vision have made it possible to build the bridge from the past into modern life.